“Once I’d tried contact lenses, I wasn’t going back.”
2019 World Championship gold medal-winning heptathlete
This year saw Katarina Johnson-Thompson win her first World Championship heptathlon gold, breaking the British points record set by Jessica Ennis-Hill at the 2012 Olympics.
Katarina first noticed she needed an eye test when she was playing in goal for her hockey team, and was letting in every single shot. After visiting her optician, she was fitted with contact lenses, which enabled her to take part in more challenging athletic events, such as the hurdles and high jump.
“My vision is so important. I definitely couldn’t be a heptathlete without my contact lenses. They allow me to perform, they allow me to be free – they just allow me to be myself.”
“Without contact lenses I wouldn’t get over the first hurdle.”
Some questions answered
Yes, you can. And it’s obviously a lot easier applying makeup if you don't have to wear glasses. Just make sure to put in your lenses before applying your eye makeup.
If they’re properly cleaned and maintained, it’s easy to forget you’re wearing contact lenses. Although you may be aware of them at first.
With a little practice and patience, contact lenses can be inserted and removed very easily. Our experts will show you how.
There’s no chance this could ever happen, as there’s a membrane which covers your eye and connects to the inside of your eyelids.
If your sunglasses are non-prescription, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t wear them with your contact lenses.
For answers to a lot more questions like these, go to our contact lens FAQs.
Or just drop into your local Vision Express store, where our contact lens experts will be happy to help.
- The free eye test is only valid when a standard eye test charge is applicable.
- There is no cash alternative and cannot be used if you are entitled to a free NHS eye test.
- Free contact lens assessment with every free eye test (Includes NHS eye test entitlement).
- Contact lens assessment must be for the same customer as the eye test.
- Offer includes a five-day trial subject to recommendation and availability.
- Five-day trial includes five pairs of daily disposable lenses or one pair of reusable contact lenses.
- Free eye test and contact lens assessment subject to availability and only valid until 31st December, 2019.