At Vision Express we want our products and services to be available for everyone. We've built our web site to help ensure this, making it compatible with the standards set by W3C (World wide web Consortium). For a detailed explanation of these standards please click here www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10. The information below will help you navigate the Vision Express website:
The text is hard for me to read - how can I change it?
Users may wish to adjust the font size in one of the following ways (pick the method that applies to your Internet browser):
- In Internet Explorer go to View > Text size and select Larger or Largest.
- Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari users can alter the size of the displayed text by using Ctrl and '+' (plus) to zoom in, and Ctrl and '-' (minus) to zoom out. Ctrl and '0' returns text to its default size.
- In Netscape go to View > Increase Font Size. You could also try changing the screen resolution.
Navigate our website using tab on your keyboard
Windows : Press Tab and repeat until reaching desired link. Follow the link by pressing Enter.
Mac Firefox : Press Tab and repeat until reaching desired link. Follow the link by pressing Enter.
Mac Safari : Press simultaneously Alt + Option + tab. Follow the link by pressing Enter.
Getting more help
The BBC has a great resource for helping you to use the Web. 'My Web, My Way' explains how you can change your computer settings to make the Web easier to use.
Our website offers a link to BrowseAloud. This is a free tool that speech enables website content. It offers a practical website access service to people with reading difficulties and those who find it easier to listen to, rather than read the content of our website.
It assists in the navigations of our website for the following sections of the population:
- Those with low literacy and reading skills
- Those where English is not the first language
- Dyslexic people
- Those with mild visual impairment
Some key accessibility features are described below for those who may wish to take advantage of them.
'Skip to..' links
- A 'Skip to content' link is provided on each page that will enable users of browsers such as screen readers to jump directly to the main content on the page, avoiding all of the standard navigation links.
- A 'Site map' link will take users straight to the site map page, which is an overview of all major pages in the Vision Express website.
- An 'A-Z Site Index' link will take users straight to the A to Z site index page, which is an alphabetically ordered overview of all major pages in the Vision Express website
Research suggests that accesskeys could very well conflict with keys that are already assigned by a disabled user's assistive software. As a result, accesskeys have not been implemented on the Vision Express website.
All images that provide information have appropriate alternative text such that the information is available to people who cannot see the images.
Images that are provided for decoration are provided as either background images or have NULL (empty quote marks) alternative text.
Layout using Cascading Style Sheets
Styling and layout has been achieved using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). The site will still be usable if CSS is disabled. Disabling of CSS will result in a well structured single column page that will be styled according to the default settings of your browser.
We use Flash in some sections of the website, and Flash is not fully accessible. Where it is possible, we provide accessible versions of Flash content, but we cannot provide accessible Flash content until Flash itself is fully accessible.
Links to external websites outside the visionexpress.com domain and also the recruitment site are opened in a new window. Links that open in a new window are indicated as such by way of an icon: .
Where we have chosen not to meet accessibility standards at present
At present, the recruitment section of our website does not validate to the W3C validation service. This is due to restrictions on our access to a third-party service. If you would like recruitment information but are unable to use our current online system, please us the contact us page.